News & Press

Thursday, September 18, 2008


Dorsch dominates Challenger match


Thursday, September 18, 2008

Former Baylor all-American Benedikt Dorsch moved into the quarterfinals of the $50,000 Waco Tennis Challenger with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Tim Smyczek on Wednesday at the Baylor Tennis Center.

The seventh-seeded Dorsch will face 6-foot-9 John Isner, the No. 4 seed, who ousted Alberto Francis, 6-4, 6-2. That match will be played on Court 1 at no earlier than noon today.

Dorsch teamed with Baylor junior Denes Lukacs for doubles, and the pair dropped a 7-5, 6-1 decision to Ryan Sweeting and Jesse Witten.

Lukacs also fell in singles, 6-4, 6-2, ending a tournament that he summed up in two words: “great experience.”

“I had a better performance than I was expecting,” Lukacs said. “This was a good challenge, and I like challenges. The thing I learned from this tournament is if I want to be a pro, I have focus and play better when I’m tired.”

The Baylor doubles pair of Jurica Grubisic and Dominik Mueller will face Scott Oudesma and Tim Smyczek in a match that will begin no earlier than 6 p.m.

<< Home