News & Press

Monday, September 08, 2008


Leander Paes: I really wanted this win


India's hero at the U.S Open Leander Paes arrived today (September 8), at the Chatrpati Shivaji Airport in Mumbai. Paes won his eighth Grand Slam title of his career, when he and his Zimbabwean partner Carla Black won the mixed doubles title at the US Open.

However he failed in his attempt at a double crown at the US Open as he and Lukas Dlouhy lost to American twins Bob and Mike Bryan in the final of the men's doubles event at the Flushin Meadow.

But, India's tennis ace Leander once again shows gritt and determination, more importantly hunger to perform at the highest stage. Speaking exclusively to TIMES NOW, he attributed his win to his thirst for glory and his 'perfect partner' Cara Black.

On how he rates the U.S Open mixed doubles title...

A relieved Leander Paes said, "This mixed doubles title has been eluding me in the past. I have been in two finals before and I did have a match point in one of the finals with Lisa Raymond and hit the net court and lost that. So, it was really something I wanted to put in my showcase."

Giving a lot of the credit to partner Cara Lee said, "I did well. But I have also found an excellent partner in Cara Black. She held her own and she came through when it really mattered. Now we got a mixed doubles title as well."

On what went wrong in the men's doubles...

Unfortunate enough not to bag a double delight at the Flushing Meadows, Leander said, "I think the difference was really one or two shots. If you look at the score line. As hard as we fought we lost to a better team. They played really well."

On the upcoming David Cup tie with Romania...

Leander Paes heads to Romania for the Davis Cup tie. A confident Lee said, "I love playing for my country and no matter who we play, what surface we are on, my best foot will be forward. It is a tough match. We are playing them (Romania) on their surface and hometown. As far as we are concerned we have a young and fresh team and we will go out there and put our best foot forward."

<< Home