News & Press

Sunday, January 27, 2008


Andy Ram and Yoni Erlich's magical run at the Australian Open came to a perfect ending on Saturday morning in Melbourne.


The Israeli duo defeated Michael Llodra and Arnaud Clement 7-5, 7-6 (4) in the final of the men's doubles tournament and celebrated like only they know how. After the French duo sent the ball into the net on match point, Ram lifted his partner in the air before Erlich returned the favor by giving Ram a piggy-back ride round the Rod Laver Arena centre court.

"This is an unbelievable moment. It's a great, great moment for us," Ram said after the match. "I've won two Grand Slams in the mixed doubles, but that's not even close to what I'm feeling at the moment."

"I've been waiting for this moment since I was born," an emotional Erlich said after the two accepted the trophy. "It's an amazing experience. As a kid looking at the TV, watching the Grand Slams, I never believed I'd be here. It's an amazing tournament. It has an amazing atmosphere. It's an amazing title to win."

(more)

<< Home