News & Press

Friday, February 26, 2010


On the Tennis Tour with Benjamin Becker


onthetourbenjaminbecker.jpgBenjamin Becker (left) with doubles player Jeff Coetzee (right) at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships. Photograph courtesy of the A.T.P. World Tour.
The professional tennis circuit isn’t just about the Grand Slams. In the “On the Tennis Tour” series, VF.com goes behind the scenes at the many tournaments that lead up to the U.S. Open, in August.
One of 32 men playing in this week’s Delray Beach International Tennis Championships, in Delray Beach, Florida, is Benjamin Becker, currently ranked No. 40 on the A.T.P. World Tour. You might remember this big-serving German as the guy who knocked Andre Agassi out of the 2006 U.S. Open, in what turned out to be Agassi’s final career match. Born in Merzig, Saarland, then part of West Germany, 28-year-old Becker turned pro in 2005.
WHAT I MOST LOOK FORWARD TO ABOUT TRAVELING TO DELRAY BEACH is the nice weather.
DELRAY BEACH DIFFERS FROM THE REST OF THE TOURNAMENTS because it’s not usually common that you have a basketball court as a players' lounge and eating area.
MY FAVORITE TOURNAMENT is Helle, first of all because it’s in Germany, second of all because the hotel is on-site and the food is amazing.
THE MOST MEMORABLE TOURNAMENT I’VE PLAYED IN is the U.S. Open ’06. A close second is Holland, where I won my first tournament.
MY BIGGEST CAREER WIN is beating Nikolay Davydenko in the first round of Wimbledon, in 2008.
I USUALLY TRAVEL WITH my coach, but sometimes by myself. I have two bags that I check and carry one little backpack.
I’VE NEVER HAD A TRAVEL DISASTER and I’ve been very lucky because I haven’t really missed many planes. And I haven’t really lost my bags. I usually check my tennis racket, so as soon as I lose my tennis racket once, I won’t check it again. My tennis bag only came late once, but it didn’t hurt my match.
THE HARDEST PART ABOUT TRAVELING FOR WORK is checking in and waiting at the airport.
THE BEST PART ABOUT TRAVELING FOR WORK is seeing many different places and getting to know different cultures.
—By Jessica Flint

<< Home