News & Press

Monday, May 04, 2009


Becker takes Rhodes


The first International professional tennis tournament ATP Challenger “Aegean Tennis Cup” 125,000 $ that took place in Rhodes went into the hands of the German Benjamin Becker, The experienced tennis player won over his compatriot Simon Stadler by 2-0 set (7-5, 6-3), succeeding in a break in each game and taking advantage of all the service games. The first set was “closed” since after eleven games no break happened. Becker was the first one to secure a break in the twelfth game and so managed to win the first set by 7-5. Then having the psychological advantage, Benjamin Becker made a break in the second set and forced his rhythm and won by 6-3 facing a triumphant applause from the crowd that gave a dynamic presence in the center court of the tennis facilities of the island of the knights. “I came to Rhodes in order to win the tournament, like everybody of course. This is of course the goal when you take part in a tournament like this. During the games, match after match I was gaining self esteem I was finding the correct steps. This, like all other victories I dedicate to my father that has collected all my trophies in a trophy cabinet, So whenever I am at his house and see it I can bring in mind all the good memories of the tournament of Rhodes”, said Becker who thanked everybody as well as the organizers for the exceptional organization. From the side of Simon Stadler he applauded his opponent: “He was in a very good mood and condition all week and came worthily in the victory. Congratulations for the organization. Next year I will be back here”.

<< Home